Oncology Therapy compliments the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer and tumors. Oncology massage provides a benefit for those who have received treatment, are in the process of being treated, or are post-treatment and in the recovery phase.
Riverfire Massage of Green Bay offers oncology massage sessions.
Oncology Massage requires a modification of existing practices and techniques to account for and safely work with the complications, changes, and conditions arising from cancer treatment. The therapist should also have some understanding of the disease and how it affects the body. A critical assessment of the individual is required prior to this type of massage in order to develop a custom therapy session.
Prior to performing this type of session, the massage therapist will want to know certain key points of the client’s current situation, such as:
- A summary of the client’s Medical History
- Knowing which stage of treatment the client is in
- Being aware of the medications being taken
- If and where any medical devices are implanted
- Location of tumors and whether or not there is any metastasis
- Impacts to and condition of lymph nodes and other organs
- Whether there are any blood issues such as clotting & abnormal blood cell counts
- The location of unstable tissue areas or areas of pain
What sets Riverfire Massage apart from other massage therapy providers is Greg Dickert has 25 years of experience as a registered nurse in trauma, surgery, surgical consultation, telemetry, ICU, home health care & behavioral medicine.